Friday, May 23, 2014

North Shore Ramp Butter

Do ramps grow on the the North Shore?

Yes, yes they do!!

I don't know how I failed to have these wild garlicky onions on my radar all these years, especially since the name "Chicago" comes from the Native American Miami-Illinois word for ramps: shikaakwa (chicagoua). So presumably there should be lots of ramps around. I just never noticed.

A few weeks ago I asked around for advice on foraging for ramps. They only grow for a short time in the spring. Most ramps are harvested from wild populations; they like densely shaded and forested areas, especially around water. Which is lucky for me, because I live in a densely shaded and forested area, with lots and lots of water.

I got some very good and generous advice. I ventured out with the dog and a spade and a disguise (since technically, you are not supposed to remove plants from most of the aforementioned shaded and forested areas) and had a look around. I dug up and replanted a few things before I made a positive ramp ID -- success! They look like lillies from the top side, with a pinkish or maroon shaft and a white bulb with roots at the bottom. It's easy to determine right away from the bulb: it smells like a cross between garlic and leeks. It's quite strong.


North Shore Ramps (freshly dug)
The key to being a good and responsible ramp hunter is not to take too much. You want them to grow back year after year, and you have to assume that you aren't the only one trying to find them. It's best to try to find a big swath of ramps and take only a few.

This is also why many people have "secret" ramp hunting spots. And why I'm not going to show exactly where I found mine. I will, however, share as much ramp butter as I can, because it is so so so good.




North Shore Ramp Butter

A handful of ramps, carefully dug up with your own two paws
At least 3 cups water
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened (room temperature)
1 teaspoon salt

Snap off the roots of the ramp bulbs. Remove the brown slimy casing that protects the bulb. Rinse the ramps thoroughly. Ensure all dirt is rinsed away from the leaves.

Place whole ramps in a heat-safe bowl, tucking the leaves into the bowl too. Use your teapot to heat water to boiling. Remove from heat and pour over the ramps. Allow to sit for 3 full minutes.

Remove the ramps from the water and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter. 

Once the ramps have cooled, place whole ramps in a food processor and pulse.



Add the chopped ramps to the butter and continue to whip. Add salt to taste.



I read that the ramp butter should store in the fridge for up to a month, but I bet it won't last that long. It's good on potatoes, fish, chicken, veggies, and almost everything else. I like it best spread onto hot bread rolls.


Ramp butter - tastes like spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment